Masdar, in partnership with Bee’ah, the Middle East’s leading and award-winning environmental management company, has developed a cutting-edge waste-to-energy plant in the emirate of Sharjah. Diverting more than 300,000 tonnes of solid municipal waste from landfill each year, it contributes to the UAE’s goal to divert 75 percent of solid waste from landfills.
The facility processes more than 37.5 tonnes per hour of municipal solid waste to generate electric power and is located adjacent to Bee’ah’s existing Material Recovery Facility in Sharjah, where the emirate’s waste is collected, sorted, recycled and, where necessary, sent to landﬁll.
The waste-to-energy process converts the waste into produced heat which is then used to drive an electrical turbine. The plant produces up to 30MW electrical power which is supplied directly to the Sharjah electricity grid. The ﬂue gas of the waste processing is environmentally treated before being released into the atmosphere.
The partnership between Bee’ah and Masdar was officially announced during ADSW 2017 with signature of the Joint Development Agreement.
Bee’ah, headquartered in the Emirate of Sharjah, is an integrated environmental and waste management company, founded in 2007, through an Emiri decree by His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan Bin Mohammed Al Qasimi, Member of the Supreme Council and Ruler of Sharjah, as a Public Private Partnership (PPP) with the Sharjah City Municipality. Bee’ah collects approximately 2.3 million tonnes of waste from nearly one million households in Sharjah each year, diverting around 70 percent of its collected waste from landfill to its recycling waste management facilities.
- Future Fit Seal : A national symbol of recognition given to groundbreaking projects undertaken by federal and local government institutions.
- Middle East Energy Awards 2019: Clean Energy Initiative of the Year.
- Project Finance International (PFA) Award 2018: Clean Energy Deal of the year.
- IJ Global Awards 2018: MENA Waste Deal of the Year (Sharjah Waste-to-Energy Company)
- Bonds, Loans & Sukuk Middle East Awards 2018: Structured Deal of The Year for Sharjah WtE.
Project Completion Year