Opened during the summer of 2013, the London Array is tone of largest offshore wind farms in the world. The 175 wind turbines power more than a half-million homes in the United Kingdom and keep nearly 1 million tonnes of carbon-dioxide emissions out of the environment every year.
Construction began onshore in 2009 and offshore two years later. The facility generated its first power in October 2012, with the final turbine installed that December.
The London Array includes two offshore substations, one onshore substation and more than 400 kilometres of offshore cabling. It also features an operations and maintenance base at the Port of Ramsgate.
- Facility area: 100 square kilometres
- Equipment: 175 Siemens wind turbines (3.6 megawatts each)
- Installed capacity: 630 megawatts of electricity
- Emission reductions: 925,000 tonnes annually
- Homes powered: more than 500,000
- Operational date: July 4, 2013