Abu Dhabi National Energy Company (TAQA) and Masdar – alongside partners EDF and JinkoPower – are currently developing the Al Dhafra Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Independent Power Producer (IPP) project.

The Al Dhafra project will be 60 percent owned by TAQA and Masdar, while the remaining 40 percent will be owned by EDF and JinkoPower. Financial close on the project was achieved in December 2020.

The record-breaking project, located approximately 35 kilometers from Abu Dhabi city, will have a capacity of two gigawatts and supply power to the plant’s off-taker, Emirates Water and Electricity Company (EWEC). Once operational, the Al Dhafra Solar PV IPP will be the world’s largest single-site solar power plant, using approximately 3.5 million solar panels to generate enough electricity for approximately 160,000 homes across the UAE. It will mitigate 2.4 million tonnes of carbon dioxide annually.

The plant will deploy the latest in crystalline, bifacial solar technology, which will deliver electricity to the highest efficiency enabling the plant to provide more power by using both the front and back of panels.

Project Info

Technologies Used
Solar PV
Abu Dhabi
Project Completion Year
Expected completion 2022
Under construction