Al Reyadah - Carbon Capture, Use and Storage (CCUS)
The Carbon Capture, Utilization & Storage (CCUS) project of Emirates Steel (ES) is the first project under Al Reyadah, a joint venture between Masdar and Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC).
Al Reyadah is the Middle East’s first specialised company focused on exploring and developing commercial-scale CCUS projects. It consists of three elements: industrial capture of the gas from the ES facilities; compression, dehydration at Al Reyadah carbon capture facility (CCF); and transportation of CO2 gas for injection into ADNOC onshore oil fields for enhanced oil recovery (EOR). The project will save precious natural gas, traditionally used to maintain the pressure of oil reservoirs and aid in oil recovery, and free the available natural gas for traditionalpower generation and water desalination.
The $122 million (AED 450 million) procurement and construction contract for the CCF was awarded toDodsal Group in 2013. The new Al Reyadah facility, located in Mussafah, and adjacent to Emirates SteelIndustries, will sequester up to 800,000 tonnes of CO2 annually. Construction of the project is complete andwas commissioned through July-August 2016.
Al Reyadah is one of several projects in Masdar’s domestic portfolio.
- The ES CCUS project is the Middle East’s first commercial scale CCUS facility
- Today, there are 15 operating CCS plants globally with a further 7 under construction
- One of the first pioneering projects in the region to utilize CO2 for EOR
- It will sequester up to 800,000 tonnes of CO2 annually
- It will liberate precious natural gas for power generation
- The project includes a compression facility and a 42 km pipeline
- EPC contract for the facility and pipeline is worth $122 million (AED 450 Million)